Saturday, August 28, 2010

Yellow Tomato and Tomatillo Salsa

The great yellow tomatoes from my garden have made me really want to make a yellow tomato salsa. I knew it would have tomatillos in it, which were available at the farmer's market yesterday. So were beautiful, long curly sweet red peppers, small sweet onions and, well, almost anything else your heart could desire.

So I came home and fiddled with a recipe, making a salsa that is my own, and so delicious it is clear I will not have enough chips! (The photo does not do it justice-- trust me, it looks good, too!)

Susan's Yellow Tomato and Tomatillo Salsa

4-5 yellow tomatoes, chopped (I put them in the food processor for 6 or 7 pulses, but that was a mistake. Would be better if they were more chunky and if I'd drained off some of the juice.)
8-10 tomatillos, peeled and washed
2 small, sweet onions
1 clove garlic
2 long, red sweet chili peppers or one regular red pepper (there's no heat in this salsa, so if you want that, add jalapeno. I like to taste the tomatillos)
olive oil (a few tablespoons)
white wine vinegar (a few tablespoons)
salt to taste

Just put the tomatillos, onion, garlic and peppers in a food processer and finely chop. Chop and put tomatoes in a bowl, spooning out some of the juice if you want your salsa thick. Combine all the ingredients and mix. Enjoy!!! (Note: cilantro and lime juice would be appropriate to add to this salsa. But I really like this combination of flavors and think the white wine vinegar adds the right zing.)

No comments: