Saturday, July 10, 2010

otters in the neighborhood

On my way home from work, I was stunned to see an otter crossing the road. I was about a block from home, and this guy was obviously making his way from the wetlands in a nearby park back to our large pond.

Otters out of water are clumsy fellows. He darted back and sort of hid behind a tree. I had my camera in my bag, so fumbled to get it open. When he saw I wasn't leaving, he loped across the street again. I had a pretty good shot of him, and also, I think I could have caught up with him if I wanted to. But the poor guy was so scared, I took my shots and left.

These aren't great photos, but they certainly give you an idea. For me, it was the first time I really saw one, not just the little head the point of his wake as he crossed the pond.

No comments: